Monday, June 27, 2011

Monday Madness!

Happy Monday! For many people, Monday is an unwelcome visitor and a signal to start counting down the days til it's the weekend again. But hey, when Monday comes it's never a surprise, right? You know that Monday will always come no matter how long you try to make the weekend last or how many times you wish on eyelashes and 11:11 and shooting stars that Mondays will be eradicated... So, do your mind a favor, throw the universe a curve ball, and look forward to Monday! Say bring it on Monday... I will RULE you! Chances are, if you have a kick-ass, "I'm unstoppable" mentality to start off the week, it will carry through the rest of the week, and it will be the weekend before you know it! Your brain is a pretty powerful thing... every thought you have is like a radio wave into the universe, and the signals you send out are the same signals you will get back, so why not send out some good signals?? Start your Monday with a bang and the rest of your week will follow suit.

I always like to make my Monday workout a little different and exciting, so I start my week off motivated and engaged in my workout. It makes me feel excited about my workouts for the rest of the week. Even just adding a new exercise to your routine, a new song to your playlist, changing the order of your routine, doing different variations of supersets or dropsets, or decreasing the waiting time between each set can shake things up and break up the monotony that people feel on Mondays (or any day for that matter!).  Just little things can make me more motivated and excited to workout. For example, I just ordered a new flavor of protein powder (Up Your Mass Fudge Brownie), and I know that the day it gets here I am going to be so excited to go workout just so that I can have that new protein in my post-workout shake. My headphones also just broke so I ordered some new ones, and I cannot wait to workout with them!

For today's workout, I am going to be doing biceps and triceps and alternating sets involving weights with sets that just use my body weight to perform them. As soon as I finish my weighted exercise I will immediately begin a set of a body weight exercise (for those who do not know, performing one different exercise after another is called a superset).

Arms:
Alternating Seated Bicep Curls (3 sets with 15 push ups right after each set)
Skull Crushers (3 sets with 12 bench dips right after each set)
21's (3 sets with incline push ups right after each set)
Overhead Cable Extensions (3 sets with assisted parallel bar dips after each set)

[After these exercises, I will do abs. Although there are only 4 weighted exercises, my arms are definitely exhausted because they are supersets.]

Abs:
Hanging Leg Raises (3 sets of 15)
Rainbows (3 sets of 20) (Using a med ball and with your feet together and arms straight the whole time, slam the ball to one side of your body then catch it again (arms still straight), and quickly bring the ball over your head like a rainbow and slam the ball to the other side)
Plank on a bosu ball (3, 1 minute planks) (elbows on the flat side of the bosu ball and feet on the ground)
Cruches on a declined bench with barbell (3 sets of 15) (laying on a decline bench, hold the barbell straight over your head and try to reach straight up with the barbell as high as you can)

1 comment:

  1. Whitney, every time you say anything it really means something.

    ReplyDelete