Monday, July 4, 2011

Hungry? Don't Grab a Snickers!

Happy 4th of July, everyone! Unfortunately, because it's a holiday weekend the gym has been closed and I don't have much to blog about in terms of my lifting routine... No offense America, but your birthday is really not helping me in my fitness goals. Nonetheless, I have adjusted my nutrition for the weekend based on the fact that I cannot get into the gym to lift. Here I have a few pictures of foods I have been eating the past couple days. I always love looking at pictures people post of what they eat because it gives me new ideas and inspiration for ways I can shake up my meals! 


This is a steak I grilled up (cooked medium-rare of course!) with some mixed greens. Gabe and I found this amazing salsa at the store that is literally just chopped veggies, cilantro, and some lime juice... It tastes amazing and is much better for you than many other salsas that have a lot of added salt. I like using the salsa as my salad dressing and I like dipping my steak in spicy guacamole instead of the steak sauces that are filled with salt, sugar, and ingredients that are definitely not natural! Just making small substitutions in your diet can make a big difference!

Here is what Gabe made for breakfast one morning... It is an omelette made with egg substitutes, turkey bacon, spinach, and topped with that yummy salsa. He also made some oatmeal and added some cinnamon and fresh strawberries. Cinnamon is a really great way to add flavor to your breakfast foods without having to add sugar.

Gabe and I got some fresh salmon portions from the grocery store and created this delicious dinner! We brushed olive oil and a mix of Mrs. Dash spices (all salt-free!) onto the salmon, squash, and zucchini and then grilled them. We also added some mixed greens to our plates and cooked some fresh broccoli in the oven for about 15 minutes. That dinner was so amazing! Grilled veggies are a great side dish in the summertime.... they are filling, full of vitamins, and low in calories and fat.... what more could you ask for?!

This was my breakfast this morning... An omelette with egg substitutes, diced veggies, and turkey bacon. I then toasted some ezekiel bread and spread sugar free strawberry preserves on top. Since I can't lift for a few days I have been limiting my starchy carbs to breakfast time.  

It wouldn't be 4th of July weekend without some kebabs! We had some steak kebabs with onions and green and red peppers that we seasoned with Mrs. Dash grilling spice. I then just had a salad of mixed greens with a little splash of Marie's Parmesan Caesar Yogurt Dressing. Marie's brand dressings are definitely something to add to your refrigerator. They are all natural yogurt dressings, so they are low in sugar, salt, and fat compared to other dressings, and they are also made from all natural ingredients. It is not something I use often, but nice just for every once in a while on a day where I haven't had much fat.

This last item on the menu may not look the best, but it is definitely my favorite when it comes to killing a sweet tooth. This is protein pudding! I get a box of instant, sugar-free, zero calorie Jello pudding mix (cheesecake is my fave), and I add a scoop of vanilla protein, some skim milk, and a bit of cinnamon. Then, you just whisk it together and let it sit in the fridge to get that pudding consistency. It tastes amazing, and is more filling and less guilt-ridden than that candy bar or ice cream you would usually reach for.



I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday weekend! Not that I don't love a long weekend, but I can't wait for the gym to reopen tomorrow! :)

<3 Health and Happiness

No comments:

Post a Comment